What is Asphalt Calculator?
It is also known as the Asphalt Tonnage Calculator. As the name shows, it is used to calculate the tonnage of required for payments. However, the exact amount depends upon the density. However, the following calculator gives you values for 150 Pounds per cubic foot (standard Density). This is equal to 2322 kg/m3.
Volume: 0 m^3
Weight: 0 tons
Total Price: $0
How Asphalt Calculator Works?
It is quite easy and simple to use than any other engineering calculator. It is used to determine Asphalt Requirements. The input data for calculator is;
- Width of the planned job (Feet)
- Length of the planned job (Feet)
- Thickness of the planned job (Inches)
After adding all these input values, press the calculate button and it will give you the tonnage required for your payment or road.
This calculator will give you volume.
Multiply this value of volume with the density, to get the weight of Asphalt needed for the pavement.
Things to consider before Calculating Asphalt
The Asphalt Calculator plays an important role in calculating the weight of the material to be used for long-term construction. However, if not considered properly, it may cause wreckages and damages, not only to the site but also to the vehicles and people using it. For better results, consider the following 5 points;
- Use crushed stones and sub-graded material at the footing stones. Let them take time to settle and then go for Asphalt Installation.
- Before applying, clear the application area of debris, twigs, corks, etc. Their presence may affect the effectiveness of Asphalt.
- If there is a living material like plants and weeds, apply Glyphosate to clear the area from all such vegetation. Any type of vegetation may crack it later on.
- Compact it along with all the founding stones, gravel, and sand at least 4 times to get it settled well. Try to make it pore-free.
- To give it smoother look and fineness, apply Asphalt sealant at the top and the edges. This will make it good for speed machines like Asphalt Nitro Cars.
- Use a Sealer at the curves and edges. This will give them a compact and waterproof top surface and durability.
What is Asphalt?
The distillation process of Crude petroleum produces 100 byproducts including plastics, types of coals, and Asphalt. Among these, the world’s most recyclable component is Asphalt, a dark brown to black cementitious material, mostly used for road construction. Asphalt Calculator is used to know the quantity you need to add for construction, road building.
In the United States, Asphalt is used by more than 90% of road constructors as they are highly durable, give good structure and smooth surface and are recyclable.
Types of Asphalt
There are 6 different types of Asphalt;
- Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) – It is most suitable for road construction as it is highly dense and compacted. At the time of mixing, it is heated at a high temperature thus named HMA. Asphalt Calculator measures the density of this type more accurately.
- Warm mix Asphalt (WMA) – This binder is used at lower temperatures and in the Northern Parts of the USA. This type is used during off-season constructions.
- Porous – To make this type of pavement, itis mixed only with crushed stone to give a porous structure. It acts as a drainage pathway. It is used in the stormy areas.
- Driveway Mix Asphalt – This is cheaper and is used in parking lots, tennis courts, driveways, sidewalks, and similar structures. It is blended only with crushed stones, gravel, and stones.
- MC Cold Mix – this is used for light traffic areas. It is used as cold thus named MC-cold. Sometimes, temporary repairing is done with it. As it is temporary, it can be removed any time easily.
- Dense-Graded – it is dense, compact, and used for permanent purposes where heavy traffic flows. It is permeable and highly durable.
You can compare the speed of different asphalt series on these types as well
What is the use of Asphalt?
As asphalt is a cementitious, it is used to create a “block top” on the surface of roads and payments. However, for this, it needs to be properly mixed in hot condition with the sand, gravel, and any other binder to shape it.
Only 5% of Asphalt is added in 95% sand, gravel, and stones. This 5% acts like a binder to compact the rest 95%. This mixing is done when itis at a high temperature, usually boiling, thus it is called HMA as well.
Around 2.6 million pavements and roads as made of Asphalt (Tarmac). It is waterproof (except WMA), which is designed to absorb water. It is also used for sealing and roofing. Tennis courts are made of these Warm Mix Asphalt.
Why Asphalt is used as a Black Top for roads and Pavements?
When mixed with sand, and gravel, and set to cement, it gives a uniform, durable, compact, and smooths finished road system. It required less repair and maintenance costs. Moreover, its expected life is for decades to centuries.
How does Asphalt provide more strength and compaction?
HMA is applied to the layers of gravel, stones, and sand. There are multiple layers and thus layers over layers make it more compact. Moreover, angular aggregates help in resisting rutting. Fine aggregates are added to fill the loopholes. Thus highly dense and compact road or structure forms.
Another form is WMA which gives usually a porous structure. These types of roads are common in areas with lower temperatures. These porous pavements can absorb water and recharge the ground water table. This is one of the measures to control storm water
Is Asphalt Payment Recyclable?
No doubt these payments are durable and can live stable for 100 years, yet they are recyclable if damaged. After recycling, their structure changes altogether and the constituents can be changed, thus improved. This type of recycling saves natural resources.
How Much Asphalt Driveway Cost?
The cost depends upon the density you are going with. However, the cost ranges from $120 to $200 per tonne (ton). Moreover, the price also depends upon the oil prices in the region. Blacktop costs less as it contains less bitumen while Asphalt costs more. For example;
You need to build a driveway of 10 meters long, 3 meters wide and 10 centimeter tick. You are planning to use it with a density of 2300 kg/m3. You need Asphalt Calculator to calculate weight. Then, you can use this weight to calculate the cost easily as;
Weight of Asphalt needed = Length x Width x Thickness x Density
= 10 x 3 x 0.06 x 2300
= 4140 kg or 4.14 tonnes
If the cost per ton is $150, then
Cost of Asphalt = 4.14 x 150
What is the difference between ton, tonne, and matric ton?
Don’t confuse it with the terms ton, tonnes, or metric ton. Ton is a short form of a tonne and metric ton. All these terms are equal to 1000 kg. Ton is used in the United States and is equal to 2000 lbs (2000 pounds).
How to Calculate Tons of Asphalt from square feet?
To calculate the tons of asphalt need on square feet, you’ll need to consider the thickness and density of the layer.. Here’s the general formula:
Tons of Asphalt = (Square Feet * Thickness in inches * Density) / 12
Square Feet = area to cover
Thickness = desired Thickness (inches) of the layer.
Density = Density of the material in pounds per cubic foot.
Note: The division by 12 is to convert the volume from cubic inches to cubic feet.
This information can be obtained from the supplier or reference sources.
Calculate the volume needed in cubic feet:
Volume in cubic feet = Square Feet * Thickness in inches / 12
Calculate the amount (tons) needed using the formula mentioned;
Tons of Asphalt = Volume in cubic feet * Density
I’m Paul, an enthusiast to play, watch, talk about, and enjoy racing games. I love to be on the roads in real and in games. Asphalt Nitro is one of my favourite game. Love it hard.